The Rocky Mountain Tribal Wellness Initiative is a substance abuse prevention program that follows a strategic process developed by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). It is a 5 step process:
1. Assessment the Community – looking at baseline/available data dealing with substance abuse consumption and consequences patterns and resiliency factors
2. Mobilization of the Community – beginning to construct community coalitions or building off of ones that already exist
3. Development of a Strategic Plan – Develop a plan that will address substance abuse prevention in the community that will be based upon the info found in steps 1 and 2.
4. Implementation – Carrying out the plan developed in step 3
5. Evaluation – Evaluate the process and the outcomes of the prevention programs.